Thursday, April 09, 2020

Abandon and Abide

Today’s Devotional - March 23, 2020

This is a series of messages from the time of isolation during the COVID19 Response in Oregon, United States. 

“Abiding in Christ comes with abandoning all other things.” This was said in conversation by my friend Jaelyn a couple of days ago. Her comment reminds me of the challenging words that Jesus speaks in Matthew 10:37-39. (I”ll let you look them up)
Imagine if you lost your keys, your wallet, and your cell phone on the same morning. If you and I are similar it would be easy to slip into panic. My keys are my ability to travel freely. My wallet is my ability to go to a store an get what I want. My cell phone is my freedom to call anyone I want, right now. I’ve got plans, projects, and priorities that require all three of those!

When we allow ourselves to become frantic about (or maybe just totally focused on) these, we deepen our roots in temporary things and tie ourselves tightly to a world that is not our home. 

We do have important things to do. Yet, if we serve God Who has the path forward, sees what we don’t see (including our keys), and enables us to do what is impossible on our own, then we would do well to pause and talk to Him. Maybe Like this:

Jesus, I’m really frustrated right now and I confess that I’ve taken my eyes off of You. I don’t like feeling that I’ve lost control. Please forgive me. Jesus, I’ve got plans today. Are they the same as Your plans? If my plans are not Your plans, help me to see what I should do. I trust that You can make it all happen. Thank You. 

Then… Breathe. Listen. Pause. …. “Oh! there they are…. Thank You, Lord.”

“The heart of a man plans his way, but the Lord establishes his steps.” - Proverbs 16:9  

“Set your minds on things that are above, not on things that are on earth.” - Colossians 3:2 

“For here we have no lasting city, but we seek the city that is to come. Through him then let us continually offer up a sacrifice of praise to God, that is, the fruit of lips that acknowledge his name. Do not neglect to do good and to share what you have, for such sacrifices are pleasing to God.” - Hebrews 13:14-16

“Be still, and know that I am God. I will be exalted among the nations, I will be exalted in the earth!” - Psalm 46:10 



Lyrics for New Wine

In the crushing, In the pressing, You are making new wine
In the soil I now surrender, You are breaking new ground

So I yield to You and to Your careful hand
When I trust You I don’t need to understand
Make me Your vessel, Make me an offering
Make me whatever You want me to be
I came here with nothing, But all You have given me
Jesus bring new wine out of me

In the crushing, In the pressing, You are making new wine
In the soil I now surrender, You are breaking new ground

Bridge:
Where there is new wine, There is new power
There is new freedom, The Kingdom is here
I lay down my old flames, To carry Your new fire today

Words and Music by Brooke Ligertwood
© 2017 Hillsong Music Publishing

CCLI: 7102397

No comments:

Post a Comment