Thursday, April 09, 2020

John's Diary

Today’s Devotional… is a story - March 30, 2020 

This is a series of messages from the time of isolation during the COVID19 Response in Oregon, United States. 

Beginning January 23, 1736, John Wesley - a young preacher from England - was found crossing the Atlantic ocean on his way to American colony of Georgia. He was driven by a desire to carry the gospel to the American Indians and discover what God had for him in the new world. But John Wesley found his faith challenged and his spiritual weakness exposed by his circumstances. 

Friday, January 23, 1736 - In the evening another storm began. In the morning it increased so that they were forced to let the ship drive. I could not but say to myself, “How is it that thou hast no faith?” being still unwilling to die. About one in the afternoon, almost as soon as I had stepped out of the great cabin-door, the sea did not break as usual, but came with a full, smooth tide over the side of the ship. I was vaulted over with water in a moment, and so stunned that I scarcely expected to lift up my head again till the sea should give up her dead. But thanks be to God, I received no hurt at all. About midnight the storm ceased. 

Two days later, during another storm, John is confronted by a group of people that are not bound by the doubt and fear that troubles him. 

Sunday, January 25, 1736 - At noon our third storm began. At four it was more violent than before. At seven I went to the Germans. I had long before observed the great seriousness of their behavior. Of their humility they had given continual proof by performing those servile offices for the other passengers, which non of the English would undertake; for which they desired and would receive no pay, saying, “It was good for their proud hearts.” and “Their loving Saviour had done more for them.” And every day had given then an occasion of showing a meekness which no injury could move. If they were pushed, struck, or thrown down, they rose again and went away; but no complaint was found in their mouth. There was now an opportunity of trying whether they were delivered from the spirit of fear, as well as from that of pride, anger, and revenge. 
In the midst of the psalm wherewith their service began, the sea broke over, split the mainsail in pieces, covered the ship, and poured between the decks, as if the great deep had already swallowed us up. A terrible screaming began among the English. The Germans calmly sang on. I asked one of them afterward, “Were you not afraid?” He answered,  “I thank God, no.” I asked, “But were not your women and children afraid?” He replied, mildly, “No; our women and children are not afraid to die.”

“You keep him in perfect peace whose mind is stayed on you, because he trusts in You.” - Isaiah 26:3 (ESV)

May we also, turn our eyes from those things which stir fear that we would instead gaze on Jesus and know we are safe in His eternal arms. 

Later, after a powerful encounter with the Holy Spirit, John Wesley was freed of his own fear of death, he laid down his pride, and God used him to transform the Church in England and, truly, the world. Today, history identifies those German Christians as “The Moravians.” They circled the globe and many we will meet in heaven will be there because of their missionary work.



As recorded by Celtic Worship

In Christ alone my hope is found
He is my light, my strength, my song
This Cornerstone, this solid ground
Firm through the fiercest drought and storm
What heights of love, what depths of peace
When fears are stilled, when strivings cease
My Comforter, my All in All
Here in the love of Christ I stand

In Christ alone, who took on flesh
Fullness of God in helpless babe
This gift of love and righteousness
Scorned by the ones He came to save
'Til on that cross as Jesus died
The wrath of God was satisfied
For every sin on Him was laid
Here in the death of Christ I live, I live

There in the ground His body lay
Light of the world by darkness slain
Then bursting forth in glorious Day
Up from the grave He rose again
And as He stands in victory
Sin's curse has lost its grip on me
For I am His and He is mine
Bought with the precious blood of Christ

No guilt in life, no fear in death
This is the power of Christ in me
From life's first cry to final breath
Jesus commands my destiny
No power of hell, no scheme of man
Can ever pluck me from His hand
Till He returns or calls me home

Here in the power of Christ I'll stand

No comments:

Post a Comment